Manchester police arrest man, 25, in bomb probe

Tina Ray
May 29, 2017

More than 20 people were killed in an explosion following a Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena late Monday evening.

Security was highly-visible as 40,000 runners took to Manchester's streets for the Great Manchester Run a day after Prime Minister Theresa May lowered the terror threat level, which had been hiked after Monday's carnage. This is a handout photo taken from CCTV and issued on Saturday, May 27, 2017 by Greater Manchester Police who have altered the surrounding area of Salman Abedi, in an unknown location on the night of the attack on M.

British police said they arrested two more people during raids yesterday in connection with the suicide bombing at a Manchester concert, with a "large part" of the network behind the attack now being held.

Manchester-born Abedi, of Libyan origin, injured more than 100 people when he detonated his explosive as concertgoers left a show by United States teen idol Ariana Grande.

A Greater Manchester Police statement said: "We have made significant progress in this fast moving and complex investigation, working with the national counter terrorism policing network and United Kingdom intelligence partners and securing the arrests of 11 people who remain in custody".

The family of one victim, 18-year-old Georgina Callander, said her life had been cut short by "evil, evil men prepared to ruin lives and destroy families".

"Our priorities are to understand the run up to this bad event and to understand if more people were involved in planning this attack".

Francis led thousands of people in St. Peter's Square in prayer Sunday, saying he was "close to the relatives and all those who are weeping for the dead".


The scale of the challenge has emerged in the aftermath of the Manchester suicide bombing that claimed 22 lives and injured 119 others.

The terror network behind Manchester bomber Salman Abedi could still be at large, the Home Secretary said, as the hunt for accomplices continued at "full tilt".

"Until the operation is complete, we can't be entirely sure that it is closed".

The de-escalation in the country's threat level from "critical" suggests confidence that the police operations conducted in the last week have headed off any immediate threats.

A former police chief also called for the reintroduction of internment camps where those suspected capable of carrying out extremist attacks could be detained.

Abedi, a 22-year-old Briton of Libyan descent, killed 22 people on May 22 at an Ariana Grande concert.

Police have released surveillance-camera images of Abedi on the night of the attack and appealed for more information about his final days.

Other reports by TheDigitalNewspaper

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER