One dead, three injured in University of Texas stabbing spree

Raquel Nash
May 3, 2017

Fenves identified the dead man as Harrison Brown, a first-year student at the university.

"I was a little terrified of being in that building, but my teacher was extremely understanding, she let us turn in our assignment and walk out", Garza said.

"It was an incredibly hard time for them - unimaginable", he said.

"Though many of you have heard by now, it is with great sadness that we pass along the news of Harrison Brown's passing".

The University officials said they have cancelled classes and events on the campus for the rest of the days.

"We are in mourning", he said.

At a news conference Monday afternoon, Carter said the campus police received a call about a stabbing "at about 1:49 p.m." and responded within two minutes. As he left there, he kicked a woman as if to get her out of his way, the police chief said. "I thought they were joking with each other, until I turned around and saw a guy ... holding a small machete-type thing".

An APD public information officer additionally confirmed that rumors of other stabbing incidents near 24th and 26th streets were also unfounded.

"Police were resuscitating a victim".

A student at the University of Texas at Austin accused of stabbing four students is believed to have suffered from mental health issues, officials said today.

As the attack unfolded, three other students were hurt before police arrived.

Lindsey Clark said she saw the suspect get tackled by police as he was running toward the entrance of Jester Hall, a complex of dormitories and classrooms. "They come here to learn, to look to the future", said university President Greg Fenves.

University Police Chief David Carter identified the suspect as Kendrex J. White, who was armed with a hunting knife.

Campus, local and state police swarmed to the plaza.

The UT Tower, which looms nearby, was the site of the 1966 shooting where student Charles Whitman killed 14 and injured 31.

"It is hard to comprehend that in 50 years there has never been a violent murder on our campus, and to have two in one year is simply unexplainable", Fenves said, referring to the murder of Haruka Weiser on campus almost a year ago.

"We are going to actively investigate this along with law enforcement and do everything we can to continue to work on making campus safety a top priority", Fenves said Monday.

"This is something that obviously rattles any community, and certainly a college campus community like ours. That fear is very understandable, especially in light of recent vandalism and threats against students", he said.

Just over a year after the loss of UT student Haruka Weiser, the campus is hit with another act of violence. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

"A girl in West Campus just had a knife to her throat".

Just last month, the campus community gathered for a memorial service to mark the one-year anniversary of the death of a freshman.

Other reports by TheDigitalNewspaper

Discuss This Article