Police told 5 years ago about Manchester bomber Salman Abedi

Tina Ray
May 26, 2017

The Manchester bombing was the deadliest attack in Britain since July 2005, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed 52 people in coordinated attacks on London's transport network. A man reported to be Abedi's brother had been arrested on Tuesday.

"This is a network that we are investigating", he said at a news conference.

In 2011, Abedi returned to Libya during the mass uprising that descended into a civil war and ended with Gadhafi's ouster and death. Authorities were working to determine whether Abedi possibly received training from the Islamic State when he traveled to Libya to visit his parents, who had moved back to their home country.

"Until now my son is a suspect, and the authorities haven't come up with a final conclusion", Ramadan Abedi said in an interview at his home in Tripoli, insisting on his son's innocence.

In Monday night's attack, 22 people died and almost 60 were sent to hospitals after an explosion struck in the area between the concert venue and the adjacent transit station.

A statement from her school, Runshaw College, said, "It is with enormous sadness that it appears that one of the people who lost their lives in Monday's Manchester attack was one of our students".

Those killed in the attack, which targeted a concert by a pop singer whose core fan group is young girls, include 8-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos.


When asked whether the leaks had "compromised" the investigation, she replied: "I wouldn't go that far", but added: "I can say that they are perfectly clear about the situation and that it shouldn't happen again".

"We greatly value the important relationships we have with our trusted intelligence, law enforcement and security partners around the world", a spokesman said. "We are continuing to work with the national counter-terrorism policing network and United Kingdom intelligence services as part of the response to dealing with the tragic events", he said. Officers are currently at the scene but in order to do this safely we briefly had to close a nearby mainline railway, which has now been reopened.

France's interior minister said Abedi is believed to have also travelled to Syria and had "proven" links with the Islamic State group.

Rudd said Britain's increased official threat level will remain at "critical" as the investigation proceeds and won't be lowered until security services are convinced there is no active plot in place. The government said almost 1,000 soldiers were deployed Wednesday instead of police in high-profile sites in London and other locations.

British medical sources have raised the number of injuries to 119.

Abedi was known to British authorities prior to Monday night's attack, CBS News reported.

Police in Manchester said they executed two warrants on Tuesday as part of the investigation, including a raid involving a controlled detonation.

Other reports by TheDigitalNewspaper

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER