Carbon monoxide leak sickens 32 people in New York City

Tina Ray
June 14, 2017

Emergency workers blocked off the area.

The concern brought a police bomb squad and Federal Bureau of Investigation agents to the scene.

More than three dozen people were hospitalized due to high levels of #Carbon Monoxide spewed by a faulty oil burner as a result of a fire in the basement of a building in Lower #Manhattan on Tuesday morning.

"We found a defective boiler in the basement with some sort of broken pipe that was producing the CO". "If the meters max out at 1,000 parts per million and our meters were maxed out. which can render you unconscious very quickly", FDNY Chief of Dept. James Leonard said.

Fire officials say a defective boiler in the basement is to blame for the carbon monoxide leak.


High levels of carbon monoxide were detected, prompting the evacuation of the 12-story building, fire officials say. It's unclear if it is connected with the fire.

A HUGE fire has ripped through a 12 storey apartment building in NY injuring 34 people.

The normal level of carbon monoxide in a house can be from under one to 15 ppm, depending on whether there's a gas stove, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Streets were cordoned off and emergency vehicles massed for several blocks around the building in the chic TriBeCa neighborhood.

Other reports by TheDigitalNewspaper

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER